USA Climbing, with the help of our Coaches Committee, has made huge strides in the growth of professionalism in coaching youth climbers throughout the United States and will continue to do so through the education of coaches who participate in our USA Climbing Coaches Certification program.
Becoming a USA Climbing Certified Coach
In order to be recognized by USA Climbing as a USAC Certified Coach, and in turn be eligible to enter isolation with your team during each respective championship season, all documents must be submitted to USA Climbing, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm MST on:
Deadlines for document Submission:
- November 1, 2016 for the Bouldering Championship Season
- March 1, 2017 for the Collegiate Championship Season
- April 1, 2017 for the Sport & Speed Championship Season
- April 1, 2017 for the Adaptive National Championships
Coaching Certification Document Check List for the 2016-2017 Season:
- Current USA Climbing Coaches Membership. All coaches need to hold a current USA Climbing Coaches Membership. During the registration process, all coaches agree to abide by the USA Climbing Coaches Code of Conduct and are expected to carry themselves accordingly.
- CPR & First Aid Documents. The date listed on your CPR & First Aid document is the date they expire with USA Climbing. It is not the responsibility of USA Climbing to make coaches aware of their lapse in certification due to an expired CPR or First Aid document, please contact email@example.com to set-up a renewal process, if your documents expire after the submission deadline and within a championship season.
- Background Screening through the National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI). Click here to download instructions to complete your background screening. All background screenings are valid for TWO (2) years from the time of submission. Background checks may take up to 10 days to process. As long as a coach submits his/her background check prior to the respective deadline, he/she will be listed as 'pending' until the background check has cleared.
- SafeSport Online Training Certificate. Upon completion of the 90-minute SafeSport Online Training Program you will receive a SafeSport Training Certificate. Save and e-mail it to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to: 561-423-0715. SafeSport Certifications are valid for TWO (2) USA Climbing seasons. Completing the SafeSport Refresher course will not fulfill this requirement.
Youth Climbing Team Championships - Team Member Eligibility
Rules outlining Youth Team affiliation and Youth Team member eligibility have changed for the 2016-2017 Season and a roster of eligible Youth Team members (eligible to count towards Youth Team Championships points) must be submitted to USA Climbing. Following Rule 4.2.1b:
A Youth Team Coaches must submit his/her team roster, in excel format including First Name, Last Name, and Team Affiliation, to email@example.com by 11:59pm MT on:
Please submit a completed roster of eligible Youth Team members planning to compete in Youth Championship events, using the Excel form here, and along with the above Certified Coach documentation, by the date requirements above.
Team Roster Submission Spreadsheet - Please use this spreadsheet for the submission of your team roster. When saving, please replace the "Team Name" and "Date" in the current document name (Team Name_Roster_Date) with your team's name and the date of submission.
For more information on Youth Team Member eligibility for Youth Team Championships, please see Rules 4.1 and 4.2 of the USA Climbing Rulebook.
Sign Up to Receive Coaching Updates
Coaches Committee Mission Statement
The USA Climbing Coaches Committee exists to; serve as a resource for climbing coaches and in turn, gyms across the country, provide framework around the Coaching Certification Program, elevate the professionalism of the career, and promote inclusiveness and unity in the sport of climbing.
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016 USA Team Coaches & Staff
Claudiu Vidulescu – Head Coach
He has served as the Head Coach since 2007. He is currently the owner and head coach for the Stone Summit climbing team in Atlanta, Georgia. Claudiu has several years of international climbing experience including coaching and route setting. He is originally from Romania where he started and ran the Romanian climbing delegation.
Tyson Schoene – Assistant Coach
Tyson is the Head Coach for Vertical World Climbing Team in Seattle, Washington. Tyson has served as a USA coach in 2005, 2006, 2007,2008, 2014, and 2015 including Youth World Championships in China, Austria, Ecuador, Australia, Italy and Pan American Championship in Denver, Montreal and Mexico City.
Meg Coyne- Assistant Coach
Meg is currently a coach for Stone Summit Climbing Team as well as a routesetter for Stone Summit Gym and USA Climbing (Level 4 certification). Meg competed as a youth in the Youth World Championships held in Australia and Ecuador. She also served as an assistant coach for the Youth World Championship in New Caledonia.
Meghan McDonald- Assistant Coach
Meghan is currently the Head Coach for Team Rock in New York. Meghan has served as an assistant coach for the USA Team in Victoria and Arco for the Youth World Championship as well as at the Pan American Championship in Mexico City.
Matt Londrey – Apprentice Coach
Matt is currently the interim head coach for Peak Experiences Climbing Team in Richmond, VA. Prior to this Matt served as the Head Coach for the climbing team at Central Rock Gym Watertown and Site Director for Passages Adventure Camp.
Kim Mitchell – Team Manager
Zack DiCristino, MSPT, OCS - Team Physical Therapist
Zack completed his masters of science in physical therapy degree at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in 2003. After beginning his career at Howard Head Sports Medicine in Vail, Zack took his wealth of experience and helped start and develop the Outpatient Orthopedics and Sport Medicine Rehabilitation Department at Stanford University Hospital and Clinics. His special interests are in manual therapy, return to sport/activity-integration therapy progressions, and the running and rock-climbing athletes.
Kim has served as Team Manager at the Youth World Championships in New Caledonia and Arco as well as for The Pan American Championship in Mexico City. She has been involved with USA Climbing as a parent of two climbers since 2006. Kim is also a physical therapist with special interests in pediatrics.