Dear USA Climbing member,
I am writing to share changes to the Youth Qualifying Seasons powered by KAYA, Bouldering Regional Championships, and Bouldering Divisional Championships for the 2020-2021 season.
First, a heartfelt thank you to our members for continuing to support your local climbing facilities and USA Climbing. Your support is critical during these challenging times. This is an amazing and dedicated community. I am humbled and honored to serve you and the communities that make this sport so special.
Entering this Youth Bouldering Season, a number of questions have lingered about how best to provide opportunities for our youth to return to climbing in the safest possible manner with the expected surge in the COVID-19 pandemic. We initially approached the 2020-2021 Bouldering season schedule with an optimistic perspective. Now, many of our host facilities are facing new challenges and closures as state and local regulations go into effect in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
USA Climbing's guiding principle is to ensure the well-being of athletes, which means providing safe and healthy opportunities to continue climbing. We can do this by following local and state guidelines and we remain positive about providing in-person Championship event experiences in the future.
As such, USA Climbing has decided to make the following changes to the 2020-2021 Youth Season:
- Bouldering Qualifying Series powered by KAYA is extended until January 31, 2021.
- Bouldering Regional Championships are postponed to take place no earlier than March 2021.
- Exact date is to be determined.
- It may be scheduled to coincide with the Lead/Top Rope Regional Championships (April 24, 2021) depending on the status of COVID impacts across the country.
- The goal is to provide an in person event should conditions allow. A modified virtual format may be implemented should this not be possible.
- Bouldering Divisional Championships are postponed to coincide with Lead/Top Rope Divisional Championships on May 29-30, 2021.
- Lead/Top Rope Virtual Qualifying Series powered by KAYA begins January 4, 2021 and ends April 4, 2021.
- Lead/Top Rope Regional Championships remain scheduled for April 24, 2021.
- Lead/Top Rope Divisional Championship now coincide with Bouldering Divisional Championships on May 29-30, 2021.
We recognize these are significant changes and have provided a graphic for your reference. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are in this together and look forward to a full return to sport when we can. The support you provide to USA Climbing and your local climbing facility will make this possible. On behalf of USA Climbing staff and Board of Directors, thank you. We wish you healthy and safe Holiday season.
Marc Norman – CEO