Due to the continued challenges posed by the COVID-19 Pandemic, USA Climbing is taking the following actions in its effort to prioritize athlete health and well-being while also providing our young athletes' opportunities to continue their development in the sport.
In an effort to limit community spread, USA Climbing has decided to cancel the Youth Divisional Championships for both Bouldering and Lead/Top Rope for the 2020-21 season while simultaneously delaying the Youth Regional Championships until Late May-Early June. This change will allow for significantly reduced travel at a time when public health experts across the country continue to recommend limiting cross-state travel. It also provides the greatest opportunity for all Regions to have modified in-person championship events while providing more time for vaccination efforts across the country to have meaningful impacts on the virus.
USA Climbing will also extend the Youth Qualifying Season for Bouldering until April 25, 2021, for Regions 11, 12, 21, 31, and 32, which have been and in some cases are still under significant restrictions. All other Regions’ Youth Qualifying Series for Bouldering have now concluded. Additionally, any competitor issues related to participation and scoring in Divisions 4-9 must be submitted to USA Climbing, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by February 28th at 11:59 p.m. MST. Submissions received after this deadline will not be considered.
The Youth Qualifying Series for Lead and Top Rope will also be extended for all Regions until April 25, 2021.
Youth Bouldering and Lead/TR Regional Championships will each take place over one weekend within a period of four (4) weekends, allowing each Region the flexibility to adjust their dates and approach based on what is most appropriate in their respective areas. The four (4) weekends are May 29-30, June 5-6, June 12-13, and June 19-20. USA Climbing will work with Regional Coordinators and host facilities to determine whether the Bouldering Regionals and the Lead/TR Regionals will take place on the same weekend or on separate weekends, with Bouldering Regionals being scheduled two or three weeks before Lead/TR Regionals but both within the above four (4) weekend period. Continue to check your respective Region’s USAC webpage and Facebook group and stay tuned for additional communication coming from USA Climbing as the Youth Regionals dates and locations are finalized in the coming weeks.
With the cancellation of Youth Divisional Championships, Youth Regional Championships for Bouldering and Lead/Top Rope will be the qualification event for National Championships this year. Qualification for Youth National Championships in Bouldering and Lead / Top Rope will be achieved by finishing in the top four (4) at the respective Regional Championships in each discipline.
As USA Climbing continues to assess the evolving situations within each region, it is clear that numerous members have faced pandemic-related challenges impacting their ability to participate in a Virtual Bouldering Qualifying Event competition and thus rendering them ineligible for the upcoming Youth Bouldering Regional Championships based on the current rules. Therefore, USA Climbing is providing options that may allow competitors in such situations to still have an opportunity to register for Youth Bouldering Regionals.
Eligibility for Youth Bouldering Regional Championships is as follows:
- Eligibility for the Youth Bouldering Regional Championships will adhere to USA Climbing Rulebook section 18.2, with consideration to the following exceptions.
- 1st registration round (May 3, 9:00 a.m. MT to May 5, 11:59 p.m. MT)
- Open to competitors ranked in the top 25 in their category and in their region at the conclusion of the Virtual Bouldering Qualifying Series. Updated Regional rankings can be found online at www.usaclimbing.org/results
- 2nd registration round (May 8, 9:00 a.m. MT to May 10, 11:59 p.m. MT)
- For categories that have fewer than 25 registered competitors after the 1st registration round, a 2nd registration round will open on a first-come, first-served basis for those competitors who competed in a Virtual Bouldering Qualifying Event and earned a Regional ranking but whose Regional ranking falls outside of the top 25 within their respective region/category
- 3rd registration round (May 13, 9:00 am M.T. to May 15, 11:59 p.m. MT)
- For categories that have fewer than 25 registered competitors after the 2nd registration round, a 3rd registration round will open on a first-come, first-served basis for any competitor with an active Competitor Membership, regardless of when that membership has been purchased or upgraded from an Introductory membership.
USA Climbing will evaluate the Regionals eligibility rules for Lead/TR pending the outcome of the Virtual Lead/TR Qualifying Season and USA Climbing’s assessment of Virtual Competition access.