USA Climbing’s first annual Women in Climbing Summit will kick off next Monday, September 21 and the climbing community is welcome to join the conversation virtually.
“We created the Women in Climbing Summit because we recognize there is an important need to develop and support women and girls in the sport,” said Rebecca Ingraham, USA Climbing Education Manager. “Climbing has always had a strong sense of community and we have been thrilled by the impressive and diverse cross-section of speakers offering to share their insights and the positive response from our members. We are very excited for year one and look forward to growing this event for many years to come.”
To make participation easy, the inaugural Women in Climbing Summit will be virtual and accessed online. The Summit begins Monday, September 21 and ends Saturday, September 26 with daily presentations across a variety of important topics designed to resonate with the climbing community including climbers of all abilities, coaches, parents, gym staff and volunteers. Speakers and topics include:
- Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA): Coaching for Winning & Life Lessons
- Marisa Michael, MSc, RDN, LD, CSSD: What Every Climber Needs to Know About Fueling and Eating Disorders
- Ziva Petrin, MD: Health and Injury Consideration in Female Climbers
- Young Women Who Crush (YWWC): Building a More Diverse and Inclusive Climbing Culture Through Youth Outreach, Mentorship, and Leadership Development
- Zoe Sayetta, M.S.: Confidence and Perfectionism: Influence of Self Efficacy on Performance
- Nikki Smith: LGBTQIA2S+ in the Outdoors - Understanding the Queer Community and Creating an Inclusive Environment
- WeCOACH: Women In Coaching: Gender Equity Barriers, Shifting the Narrative, and How to Be Supportive of Women in the Profession
- Chloe Mandell: Being a Female Entrepreneur in The Climbing Industry - The Opportunities, Challenges, and Lessons Learned
- Kareemah Batts: Diversity is More Than Color: Creating an Accessible Climbing Community
- Dierdre Wolownick: Becoming a Climber Later In Life: Senior Women In Climbing
A full schedule with presentation descriptions and times can be found here.
The Summit is free to USA Climbing members and accessed through the “events” tab in a member’s USA Climbing Account. If you are not a USA Climbing member and would like to participate, please purchase a Supporter membership for $35 here and then sign up for the Summit.